* Saint Finian is also known as 'The Master of the Saints of Ireland'.
* Saint Finian was born late in the fifth century at Myshal in County Carlow.
* He first went to St. Marting's famous monastery at Tours, where his
experience there shaped his idea of religious life.
* Tours is noted for its austerity and sacrifice of physical comfort for spiritual gain.
* Saint Finian travels to the County of Kildare to study & teach at St. Brigid's monastery.
* Finian is led by an angel to Cluain Eraird (Clonard), where he is told
this will be the place of your resurrection.
* Saint Finian was chosen and consecrated the Bishop of Clonard
* He built a little cell and a church of clay and wattle whilst
continuing his life of study, mortification and prayer.
* His gift for teaching, ability to impress the great and good
and his absolute dedication to the ascetic ideal inspired
a whole generation.
* Students of Finian took seeds of knowledge from Finian's
monastery at Clonard, and planted them abroad with great
* Saint Finian's death is uncertain but approximately in 552
his burial place is within the Church of Clonard, where for
centuries after his death continued to be renowned as a
seat of scriptual learning.
* The colours associated with Saint Finian are white and blue. Motto: Strive For The Highest.